The Name Nebagamon is an Americanized version of the Chippewa word "nebagomain", which means "Hunting Deer on the Water with Fire". This refers to the Chippewa method of hunting deer by mesmerizing them with a floating raft with a fire on it. The name was suggested by George Vaughn, whose hometown was Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin.
Local lodge legend has it that Fire on the Water was chosen as the Totem because the first above-ground nuclear tests were being conducted at this time (mid-50s), and people would go to Lake Mead to watch them. The explosion would reflect off the water, looking like there was a "fire on the water". It is probably more accurate to believe the lodge totem was named after the Chippewa practice of hunting with fire on water, however the legend is rather interesting.
In 1944, Boulder Dam Area Council (now Las Vegas Area Council) received a charter from the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Comprising parts of northwest Arizona, southwest Utah, southern Nevada, and the eastern Mojave Desert of California, the new council was headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The National Lodge Order of the Arrow, W.W.W., approved by the National Council Boy Scouts of America granted a Charter to the Sinawava Lodge, Boulder Dam Area Council, Las Vegas, Nevada #312 for the year ending December 31, 1945. At the time H. Lloyd Nelson was our National Chief, John C. Norsk, National Secretary, Robert H. Heistand, National Treasurer.
The origin of the name Sinawava is from the Temple of Sinawava in Utah's Zion National Park, where the first Ceremonial of the new Lodge took place. Sinawava means "Coyote", in Southern Paiute, and the coyote was chosen as the Totem of the new Lodge.
In January 1950, Sinawava 312 was disbanded by the National Office because it allowed its National dues to lapse with the National Council. The Lodge was placed on the inactive list by National Secretary, Norman C. Wood. There are no known insignia from Sinawava Lodge.
On June 8, 1955, the Lodge was rechartered with the new name "Nebagamon" and the same number, "312". In 1957, the Lodge was again disbanded. On September 8, 1962, the Lodge was again chartered as Nebagamon 312, and has been continually rechartered since.